Monday 7 March 2011

THE LIST AS POEM

Lately, working on my trickyselfportrait project, I have found myself writing lists of things in a very literary way, if that makes sense, and so I realized that I was in fact proposing a new gender: 
The List. 
So far I have two examples of this new gender, one, called THE PRETENCIOUS LIFE OF A YOUNG ARTIST, and two, called I AM, posted just today. The list is perhaps the must "ontologic" shape inside poetry, for it allows to display, it allows to list, as it were, a bunch of things, and relate them in multiple ways. It also has a very informal structure, that can be defined by the list itself when its time arrives. Whatever, just for the record it is clear that when I say that I am proposing a new gender I don't really mean it. The list might be the earliest form of poem, all the way from the gilgamesh, the Hanes Taliesin, or any other taxonomic song. I might elaborate more about this later. I have a funeral to attend now

No comments:

Post a Comment